Monday, November 06, 2006

Sunday Morning Muffins: Blueberry Oat

I like to get up and make muffins on Sunday morning for breakfast. Muffins are quick and easy (comparatively speaking) and they are portable, so we can eat them on the way to church. (In case you are thinking, I can't believe this woman gets up early enough to make muffins before church, bear in mind that we go to an 11:15 service.)

Once you know a basic recipe for muffins, you can experiment with add-ins and changing ingredients. Yesterday, I made-up a recipe for blueberry oat muffins.

Blueberry Oat Muffins

3/4 cup oats
3/4 cup milk
1 1/3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup cooking oil
3/4 to 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen, thawed)

First, combine the oats and the milk.**

Next, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt and mix well.

Add the egg and oil to the milk/oat mixture.

Make a well in the center of the the dry ingredients and pour the wet mixture in the center of the well. Carefully mix until just moistened. Batter will be lumpy. Do not over-mix muffins.

Fold in the blueberries, gently.

Spoon batter into greased muffin cups. (Makes 10 - 12)

Bake in 400-degree oven for about 20 minutes or until golden.

Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes for easy removal.

** This softens the oats so that the muffins are not too dry. I like to do this because I use whole rolled oats. If you use quick oats, you probably don't need to do that. If you don't want to mix the oats with the milk, you can add the oats in with the dry ingredients in the next step.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those sound yummy. I try to make scones on Sunday morning - they are quick and easy as well - takes a total of 20 minutes - and that includes bake time. - To save even more time, I mix up the dry part the night before.

Charity said...

Yeah, that's a good idea. I mix up the dry ingredients the night before sometimes, too.