Friday, April 06, 2007

Easter Dinner: Ham and Side Dishes

After the appetizers, it is time for the dinner.

This year, I will be making ham. At first, I was thinking about making something else because Bob (my husband) does not really care for ham. When he first said he didn't want ham, I said, "But you can't celebrate Easter without having a ham." To which he replied, "That's funny because, since Jesus was a Jew and so were His apostles, I'm pretty sure they did not eat ham to celebrate Jesus' resurrection."

At any rate, he decided that we should have ham.

I am making a glaze out of 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup maple syrup, and 1/2 cup Dijon mustard. 1/2 cup is used to glaze the ham. The rest is combined with 1 Tbsp. corn starch and 1 can of crushed pineapple, including the juice, in a sauce pan and cooked down until thickened slightly. I will serve this sauce on the side with the ham. (I am sorry, but I can not for the life of me find where I acquired that recipe from.)

The sides:

Garlic Scalloped Potatoes - Recipe from Martha Stewart.

Asparagus - toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds and roast an additional 5 minutes, or until done.

Carrots, parsnips, and rutabaga - I will boil these the day before and warm in the oven together before serving.

Peas and pearl onions - Heated from frozen.

Homemade crescent-shaped dinner rolls - Recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook. I will use the make-ahead method, so I only have to bake them on Sunday.

Later, the desserts and crafts.

No comments: