Sunday, December 03, 2006

Our Tree

This year, we let the boys put up our tree by themselves. This was a big - HUGE - deal to me. I am obsessive about my Christmas tree.

First off, we have an artificial tree. It is rather nice - if you fluff it out when you remove it from the box. Needless to say, they didn't. There are angles at which you can see through the tree.

Then there are the lights. In years past, I spent forever meticulously arranging the lights in an evenly spaced spiral around the tree. This year, the lights are haphazardly criss-crossed all over the tree. And you can see the wires.

The ornaments are, of course, grouped together, with bare spots in between.

As if this wasn't bad enough, on the right-hand side there is a branch that sticks out way too far. And one below it that indents too much. They put the tree together wrong! It seems the color-coded stickers have fallen off of some of the branches.

At first, I thought I would have a hard time with this. In years past when the kids wanted to decorate the tree, I would redecorate it after they went to bed. But this year I could not do that. Big D put the tree together and put on the lights practically by himself and he was very proud of himself. He would surely notice if I redid it.

I actually love the tree. I love it because my kids did it. I love it because Big D was so proud of himself. I love it because the older boys are finally realizing that Christmas is not just about the day of December 25 and they are taking the time to enjoy all of the days before it.

tree


When I look at my tree, I do not see the bare spots and the wires and the uneven sides. I see a reminder of how much I love spending Christmas with my boys; a reminder to cherish this time.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Your tree is wonderful! I am going to try to take a cue from you, and not re-arrange the decorations after the kiddos have gone to bed.

and I'm going to allow all the decoations up on the tree - even the ugly ones.